ELS Connections

The New England School of Law Environmental Law Society Alum-Student Network.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

"We face a planetary emergency"

Gore in Movie Campaign to Protect Earth

"My whole objective here is to try to move the country past a tipping point, beyond which politicians in both parties compete with each other for genuinely meaningful solutions ... and to change the minds of the American people to the point where people in both parties demand action," he said.


So, let me ask people a question. When I was in Ireland last summer (for academic purposes only, of course), one of my professors, in what I thought of as reasonably casual conversation, alluded to the possibility of changes in the Gulf Stream due to climate change that would then have dramatic negative effects on Irish weather.

I don't seem to have those kinds of casual conversations with people here in the US, unless they're already people who care about climate change as a 'specialized' issue rather than a general one that every man-woman-child-pet-on-the-street should care about.

So, how close are we to this tipping point Al Gore wants to get us past? And is the rest of the world well past it?

2 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Sidra said...

I meant where people start taking the issue seriously, so that the subject comes up in casual conversation, not just with people who already self-identify as 'environmentalist', but everyone else.

(Although, certainly, hitting a physical tipping point -- or going over an "environmental cliff" -- could produce such an effect.)

I saw a 'green' Vogue a few weeks ago, that I was very impressed by, which I'm sure had an enormous audience. But I just wonder, do Ma and Pa America sit around their kitchen table and talk about greenhouse gases yet? I think the springboard for a conversation is there, due to high energy prices as a door to criticism of fossil fuels.

(Maybe a PR campaign on kids and asthma or something would raise awareness.)

Has anyone seen An Inconvenient Truth yet? Be sure to post here when you do!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Sidra said...

Speaking of palpable:

Jet stream shift is expanding the Earth's tropics and deserts. "A shift in where subtropical dry zones lie could make climate change locally noticeable for more people."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home